Hamilton Mayor Andrea Horwath has spoken publicly for the first time about leaving what she describes as an abusive relationship, saying she decided to break her silence after years of keeping the experience private.
In an open letter shared on Wednesday, Horwath said she wanted to speak out to let other survivors know that they should not feel ashamed about prioritising their safety.
Horwath Says She Is Tired of Staying Silent
Horwath said she decided to share her experience because she no longer wanted to remain silent.
She encouraged survivors in Hamilton to understand that setting boundaries, seeking safety and speaking about their experiences when they are ready are valid choices.
The mayor acknowledged that discussing the relationship publicly has been difficult and frightening.
She also described the emotional burden of keeping such experiences private for a long period.
Criminal Harassment Charges and No-Contact Order
In her letter, Horwath referred to criminal harassment charges and a no-contact order involving her former partner.
She said that after those developments, she did what many survivors do: she maintained her distance.
The comments come as Horwath has faced public scrutiny during a prolonged dispute involving herself, her former partner and the City of Hamilton.
Message to Other Survivors
Horwath said her decision to speak publicly was partly motivated by a desire to support others who may be experiencing similar situations.
She stressed that there should be no shame in choosing personal safety or establishing boundaries.
Her comments highlight the difficulties survivors can face when personal circumstances become subject to public attention.
Former Partner Has Not Responded
CBC Hamilton contacted Horwath’s former partner through his lawyer for comment.
No response had been received before the publication of the report.
Horwath’s decision to discuss the relationship publicly marks a significant change after keeping details of the experience private for an extended period.


0 Comments